You humans are always checking out us cats with envy, believing that we have the ideal life. And while there is more to being a kitty than merely eating and sleeping in the sun, I must say that being a cat is pretty awesome! So to all you humans who say that you want to come back as a cat when you die… you don’t have to wait that long! You can start living like a cat right now – I’ve got seven tips to help. Give them a try – you will be surprised at how much better your life will be.
- Take time to enjoy some sunbeams. Of course, you humans will have to wear sunscreen, whereas we cats (unless we are hairless or pure white) don’t need it.
- Be finicky. Why eat something unless you are 100% positive you are going to enjoy it?
- Take lots of naps. We cats sleep for 16 hours a day and we never show our age. Think about it.
- Don’t hold grudges. In multi-cat households, smackdowns happen all the time, but just a little while later, there we are on the bed, curled up together. Why is it so hard for humans to do that?
- Don’t dwell on illness. We cats rarely let on when we are feeling unwell, unless it is something important. That’s because we know it’s boring to complain endlessly about minor aches and pains.
- Groom frequently, but do it for the right reasons. When we cats bathe ourselves, we aren’t trying to impress anyone. We are doing it for the sheer pleasure of looking good.
- Stretch! It keeps you supple and limber. You may not need to sleep curled up into a little ball, but wouldn’t it be nice to be able to if you ever had the desire?
- My human is moving in with her boyfriend, so we’ll have to leave our apartment and my perfect birdwatching perch. I need to know how to get rid of him!
- Our pet sitter smells weird. Is there any way to make her less stinky?
- My humans like to sleep when it’s obviously the best time to play! Have any ideas for how to wake them up?
ABOUT THE AUTHOR…Sparkle is an award-winning author, blogger, advice columnist and supermodel. She is also a cat – a ruddy Somali of champion lineage, in fact, whose father, GC Tajhara’s Miles Davis, was twice on the cover of Cat Fancy. Sparkle’s first book, Dear Sparkle: Advice from One Cat to Another, won the Wild Card category at the 2007 Hollywood Book Festival and honorable mentions in several other contests. She also recently came home with the Pettie Award — the pet blogging equivalent of an Oscar — for Best Cat Blog. Sparkle lives in Los Angeles with two humans, two feline roommates (both rescue cats), and (unfortunately) a dog.
Dear Sparkle: Cat-to-Cat Advice from the World’s Foremost Feline Columnist (Adams Media) is her second book.
You can visit Sparkle’s blog at http://www.sparklecat.com.
You’ll need to confirm that you want to receive it by clicking a link in an email you’ll receive after signing up. Please check your inbox (and put us on your white list to avoid missing out on our news). We will never rent or sell any information we collect. Any additional mailing information is used for giveaway shipping and used for that purpose then deleted.