(April 17, 2009 ) Hollywood, FL – Smart Poodle Publishing, publisher of The Travel Adventures of Lilly P. Badilly: Costa Rica, is pleased to announce its national children’s travel writing and art contest. Children from Kindergarten through 5th Grade are invited to submit original stories and artwork to the “I Love Costa Rica’s Rain Forest!” Contest, based upon a real or imaginary travel adventure in the Costa Rican rainforest.“Smart Poodle Publishing is on a mission to do its part to help improve geography education in the US,” said publisher and author Debbie Glade. “We are thrilled to be able to offer exciting prizes directly related to geography education this year, all of which have been generously donated by Rand McNally’s online store at www.RandMcNally.com.”A total of nine winners will be chosen. There will be First, Second and Third Place Winners in three grade categories:5K-1st grade, 2nd-3rd grade and 4th-5th grade.First Place Winners will each receive (Value listed):- Rand McNally Personal Journeys World Pinable Wall Map ($84.99)- Rand McNally Hard Bound World Atlas ($24.95)- Kids’ Travel Activity Bundle ($15.80)Second Place Winners will each receive (Value listed):- Rand McNally Traveler Series Kids Illustrated Wall Map ($64.99)- Kids’ Travel Activity Bundle ($15.80)Third Place Winners will each receive (Value listed):World Knowledge Bundle ($22.90)This contest is free. No purchase necessary. The deadline to enter is September 30, 2009. Entries will be judged by a panel of travel and education experts. Winners will be announced on October 15, 2009. Winners’ stories will be published on www.smartpoodlepublishing.com as well as www.RandMcNally.com.For an entry form and complete contest rules, visit smartpoodlepublishing.com.
About the Essay
- The story should a real or imaginary travel adventure set in the Costa Rican rainforest.
- Read all you can about the plants, animals and natural environment (including preservation) of Costa Rica’s Rain Forest online and at your local library. Start with the Lilly Badilly website. www.lillybadilly.com/costarica.htm. Make sure you can find the country of Costa Rica on a map!
- In your story, include info about the real plants, animals, and natural environment of Costa Rica’s Rain Forest.
About the Artwork
- Draw, color or paint a picture (using any medium i.e. crayon, pencil, markers, paint) to submit with your essay.
- Your picture should be completed on an 8.5” X 11” sheet of paper & must be mailed to Smart Poodle Publishing along with Entry Form.About Smart Poodle PublishingSmart Poodle Publishing is the publisher of The Travel Adventures of Lilly P. Badilly: Costa Rica (ISBN 978-0-9800307-9-2) and the Ask Lilly Badilly All About the World Geography Q and A video program. Award-winning author Debbie Glade visits schools with her reading and geography programs. Smart Poodle Publishing recently sponsored the “What I Wish Everyone Knew About Librarians” national writing contest for librarians.About Rand McNallyFrom America’s number-one-selling Road Atlas, The Thomas Guide®, FabMAP® and Goode’s World Atlas to StreetFinder® Wireless and IntelliRoute® trucking database, Rand McNally has been an industry leader in the mapping, routing, geographic reference and trip-planning tool marketplace for more than 150 years. With More Roads-Better Directions™, the Company’s products are sold in more than 50,000 retail outlets and distributed to 98% of schools across the U.S. Rand McNally is the premier resource for online travel planning as well as maps and directions. For more information, please visit www.RandMcNally.com, call 800-333-0136 or buy maps and travel gear online at http://Store.RandMcNally.com.Rand McNally, The Thomas Guide, fabMAP, StreetFinder and IntelliRoute are registered trademarks, and More Roads-Better Directions is a trademark of Rand McNally. All other names are trademarks of their respective owners.